Santiago de Compostela
Travel to Santiago de Compostela
If you want to travel to or from Santiago de Compostela by bus, Autna offers you the best option. We provide a professional, comfortable and reliable service, as well as cheap bus tickets to Santiago de Compostela. Regardless of your itinerary and schedule, there is an Autna bus for you.
Santiago de Compostela, the Galician jewel
Santiago de Compostela is one of the main tourist destinations in Spain thanks to its many charms and for being the capital of Galicia.
It has a population of around 100,000 people registered; however the population is higher due to the university students and the tourists it attracts at any time of the year, although in summer it grows even more.
What can you see in Santiago de Compostela?
Santiago de Compostela has many charms – it is a city designed to get lost in it, but we will try and summarise in five points the main tourist attractions:
- Camino de Santiago: Santiago de Compostela is famous worldwide for being the end of the Camino de Santiago (Way of St. James), attracting pilgrims from all over the globe that come to walk part of the way or to visit directly the town to get immersed in its culture.
- Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela: The icing on the cake of the Camino de Santiago is the Cathedral, built between 1075 and 1211. It is a perfect example of Romanesque, Baroque and Gothic styles of surprisingly huge proportions. Moreover, Praza do Obradoiro square is the ideal backdrop for this stunning building.
- Old Town: In the Old Town of Santiago de Compostela you can feel the city breathe. The various Rúas (streets) that go to the Cathedral, such as Rúa do Franco or Rúa Nova, are packed with shops, convenience stores, cafés and restaurants, and always crowded at any time of the day with residents or tourists.
- Museums: The main museums in Santiago de Compostela include: Museo de las Peregrinaciones (Pilgrimage Museum), dedicated to Camino de Santiago, Museo Cultural de Galicia (Museum of Galician Culture), Museo del Pueblo Gallego (Museum of the Galician People) and of course the Galician Centre of Contemporary Art.
- City of Culture: In the South West of Santiago de Compostela the visitor can find Cidade da Cultura (the City of Culture), with easy access from the ring road or the AP-9 Motorway. It is better seen from close distance.
Itineraries from Santiago de Compostela to Porto, Lisbon and Algarve
From Santiago de Compostela (Bus Station) to Vigo, you can travel with the Castromil company:
Monday to Friday: 06.50,10.00, 14.00 y 17.00
You can buy your tickets at their ticket offices, in Santiago de Compostela Bus Station